Last Blush of Summer Cake

Alright! I promise, this is my last post on the amazing barbecue my Mister and I attended this weekend past. Between the steaks, the homemade guacamole, and my first (but certainly not last!) taste of tembleque came the fourth... no, fifth!... version of Smitten Kitchen's "Strawberry Summer Cake" that I've whipped up.


I have to say, I love this cake with strawberries. I really do. But when I walked through our local farmers market last week and smelled these South Carolina peaches, I knew they'd be the perfect way to end our celebration of this summer's produce.

Basically no changes, this time. This cake is perfect as is -- and it's even better with a side of homemade whipped cream!

Last Blush of Summer Cake
Makes a 9x13 sheet cake

Ingredients
6 tbsp unsalted butter at room temperature
1 c white sugar
1 large egg
1/2 c milk
1/2 tsp double strength vanilla extract (or 1 tsp standard)
1 1/2 c all-purpose flour
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
2 peaches in 1/4" thick slices

Directions
Beat the butter and 1 cup minus 2 tbsp sugar with an electric mixer. Add the egg, milk and vanilla and beat until smooth. Mix the dry ingredients in another bowl with a whisk. Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients in 3 portions and beat until mixed, but not so much that your cake becomes tough. Pour the batter into your cake pan (I use a 9x13 Pyrex dish) and top with peach slices. Sprinkle cake with 2 tbsp white sugar.

Bake at 350 degrees F for 10 minutes. Lower oven to 325 degrees and continue baking for 50 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment