Refrigerator Pickles


Has anyone else noticed that summer is over? When did that happen?

My Mister and I are headed to a barbecue today. It's probably the last one we'll have for awhile, so I'm pulling out all the stops. Among other things I'm bringing (KFC-style coleslaw, peach cake...) I also put together two jars of our favorite refrigerator pickles; one to share, and one for us to keep! (They're really that good.)

The recipe I use is adapted from BonAppetit.com, with heavy modifications. I've written down my 'standard' recipe on an index card in my recipe box, but I find myself changing it every time. Feel free to modify it however you like!


Refrigerator Pickles
Makes 2 pints

Ingredients
2 pint jars (Mine are Ball, but you could easily use old spaghetti sauce or pickle jars)
2 large cucumbers, sliced into 1/4" rounds
1/4 sweet onion, sliced thinly
1/2 tsp mustard powder
1/4 tsp ground white pepper
1.5 c apple cider vinegar
1.25 c water
1 c white sugar
3/4 tbsp table salt
1.5 tsp dill seed
pinch minced garlic (ours is dried, from Penzeys spices)

Directions
Boil the sugar, salt, water, vinegar, and spices in a small saucepan until the sugar and salt are dissolved. Layer the onions in the bottom of the jars, and fill to the top with cucumber slices. Carefully ladle the pickling solution into the jars. Allow jars to cool on the counter before moving to the refrigerator, uncovered, for 24 hours. (Uncovered? I don't know why. I always follow this strange instruction.) Cap and keep for up to three weeks... if you don't eat them all in the first day!

No comments:

Post a Comment