Dog Biscuits

I posted a few days ago about the puppy we were fostering. Last weekend we signed our paperwork, and now he's officially ours!

The woman who ran the rescue had fostered this puppy before he came to live with us, and she gave us a very valuable tip; he's very food motivated! Training is a breeze as long as we give him little snack rewards. I bought a couple of store brand treats early on, but I wasn't impressed with the ingredients or the price.


Since I'm a DIYer, I've been testing out homemade dog biscuit recipes. The first recipe wasn't so great, but I wasn't going to give up. This morning I made a batch of these peanut butter biscuits from Dog Treat Kitchen and even though I think they're a little bland, I know what's in them and I can make up a new batch for cheap whenever we run low. Most importantly, Parker loves them! Success!

Peanut Butter Dog Biscuits
Modified from Dog Treat Kitchen

Ingredients
1 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 cup rolled oats
3 rounded tbsp peanut butter
1/2 cup hot water

Directions
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Mix all ingredients well in a large bowl. Roll out 1/4" thick on a counter top and cut to size. I used a small glass for some, marking a cross hatch pattern with the tines of a fork. For training bites I cut the dough into small rectangles with a knife.

Arrange on cookie sheet lined with parchment paper. Bake for 40 minutes; pull from the oven and cool before storing. Biscuits last one week at room temperature or up to three weeks in the refrigerator.

No comments:

Post a Comment