Roasted whole chicken


I can't believe this came out of my oven!

I'd like to introduce you to the first whole chicken I've ever purchased. Don't get me wrong, I'm an old pro at cooking chicken parts, but I've never attempted roasting an entire chicken at once. It was so simple! I highly recommend the commentary provided at The Pioneer Woman -- I followed those directions exactly, and it came out perfectly.

To summarize: Rinse and dry a a 3 to 4 pound chicken (ours was 3.7 lbs). Rub it down with herbs (basil and oregano), salt (coarse sea salt) and vegetable oil. Set on a rack over a shallow pan and cook at 400-450 degrees F for one hour, making sure the thigh meat reaches 180 degrees. (Our house seemed to smoke up a bit, so I kept adjusting the temperature. It probably wasn't necessary.) Allow the chicken to rest for at least 15 minutes before serving -- we refrigerated ours for a few hours before we sat for dinner.

Totally worth it. Especially since this allowed me to make some excellent gravy from the pan drippings to take to my office Thanksgiving lunch tomorrow. (You're welcome, coworkers!)

No comments:

Post a Comment